When you think of a pimple, you might immediately picture a whitehead, a blackhead, or a large painful-looking pustule. But, some pimples form deep in the surface of the skin, appearing like large reddish bumps with no head. These blind pimples are nodules or sacs filled with sebum (oil) and cell debris. They can be painful and appear just like other pimples along your nose, forehead, neck, chin, cheeks, and even behind your ears. Clean the surface of your skin and deep clean it using steam to quickly heal any blind pimples.
Heat and mix your water. Fill a one-quart pot with water and boil it for a minute. Add one to two drops of essential oils (or use 1/2 teaspoon of dried herb for every quart of water). Using essential oils can help your body quickly reabsorb blind pimples or draw them out so they heal faster. Some essential oils can even prevent pimples. Boil the water for another minute after adding the essential oil. Choose one of the following oils:
- Spearmint or peppermint: these contain menthol which is an antiseptic and can improve your immune system. Since some people find mint irritating, start by using one drop for every quart of water.
- Calendula: this plant accelerates healing and has antimicrobial properties.
- Lavender: this herb is soothing, calming and can help with anxiety and depression. It also has antibacterial properties.
Test the oil on your skin. Since essential oils come from plants, you should test for skin sensitivity to the plants before you steam your face. Place a single drop of the essential oil on your wrist and wait 10 to 15 minutes. If you have a sensitivity or allergy to the oil, you’ll probably see a mild rash that may or may not be itchy. If you have no sensitivity, you can steam your face. If you do have a sensitivity, continue testing for a different oil to use.
- Remember that you can develop sensitivity to an herbal oil that you didn’t used to react to. This is why it’s important to always test an oil for sensitivity.
Steam your face. Turn off the stove and move the pot away. Tie your hair back so it’s out of your way and cover the back of your head with a large, clean cotton towel. Bend over the steaming pot so that the towel falls around the sides of your face, trapping the steam. Close your eyes, breathe normally and relax for 10 minutes. Rinse your skin with lukewarm water and pat it dry with a clean towel.
- Be sure to keep your face at least 12 to 15 inches (30.5 to 38.1 cm) away from the water so you don’t burn yourself.
- To repeat steam facials throughout the day, simply reheat the water till it starts to steam. Steaming will open up your pores to clean out deep debris and facial oil. This can draw out the blind pimple.
Apply a moisturizer. Seal in the moisture from the steam facial by applying a moisturizer. Select a non-comedogenic moisturizer. This won’t clog your pores or contribute to acne. Moisturizing also helps prevent damage to your skin while keeping it soft and flexible.
- If your skin is sensitive to products you use, look for a moisturizer that doesn’t contain fragrance or perfume.
Apply a warm compress. Since the blind pimple is deep under your skin, it will take longer to come to the surface before it heals. To speed this process along, use a warm compress to draw the blind pimple to the surface. Soak a cotton ball or cloth in hot water and apply it to the blind pimple for a few minutes. Do this up to three times a day until the blind pimple comes to a head.
- You can also soak a cotton ball in a hot herbal tea that contains peppermint, lavender, calendula, or thyme.
Use an ice pack. If the blind pimple is causing your skin to feel red, inflamed, or painful, apply an ice pack for up to ten minutes. This can reduce swelling and make it easier to apply concealer if you’re getting ready to start the day. It also reduces the pain of a blind pimple.
- Always wrap an ice pack in a thin cloth. Avoid applying ice directly to your skin since this can damage your skin’s delicate tissue.
Use green tea. Use a lotion that contains 2% green tea extract to reduce your acne. You can also soak green tea bags in warm water and apply them directly to the blind pimple for several minutes. The tea can act as an astringent which will make the pimple reabsorb or bring it to the surface where antibacterial herbs can kill the bacteria.
- Studies show that green tea is useful in treating a variety of skin conditions.
Dab tea tree oil on the pimple. Dip a cotton ball or cotton swab in undiluted tea tree oil. Apply the oil directly to your blind pimple. Don’t rinse off the oil. The tea tree oil can reduce the inflammation that’s causing your blind pimple, making it heal faster.Studies suggest that tea tree oil also has antimicrobial properties.
- More research is still needed to determine how effective topical tea tree oil applications are in treating bacterial or viral infections.
Source: WikiHow https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-a-Blind-Pimple-Overnight
Co-authored by Chris M. Matsko, MD