Try tea tree oil. Oil made out of tea tree is a great anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory remedy. It can kill the bacteria causing infection. However, know that there is little hard science to back up the relation between tea tree oil and cysts.
- To use the remedy, simply apply 1 or 2 drops of tea tree oil on the lesion and cover it with a band-aid. Use tea tree oil once a day, in the morning, and uncover the lesion at night.
Use castor oil. Castor oil contains ricin, a chemical very effective against bacteria. Soak a piece of cloth in castor oil and place it on the cyst. Place a hot compress on top of the castor oil-soaked cloth and hold it for 30 minutes. The heat will help the oil diffuse into the skin a lot easier. The ricin will destroy the bacteria causing the infection.
- Again, the science is lacking. It may fight bacteria potentially, but its efficacy on cysts is dubious. It likely will not be harmful, but it may also not be effective.
Use aloe vera. Aloe contains phenolic compounds which have antibiotic properties. Apply aloe vera gel directly on the lesion and gently rub it until it penetrates the skin. Repeat the process each day, until the infection is cured.
- Aloe vera is a treatment that has been used for centuries. It is one of mother nature’s greatest curing agents. However, once more, there’s no science to show that it is an end-all, be-all cure for cysts.
Experiment with apple cider vinegar. The main compound found in apple cider vinegar is acetic acid. It has antiseptic properties, killing infection-causing bacteria. This, however, is very general and does not specially apply to cysts. In other words, do not rely on this remedy alone.
- Apply vinegar on the affected area and cover it with a bandage. Remove the bandage after 3 or 4 days. You will notice that a hard layer is formed on top of the lesion.
- When you remove the crust or when it naturally falls off, pus will ooze out along with the bacteria. Clean the area and apply a new bandage, without vinegar. After 2 or 3 days, the cyst should be healed.
Use dandelion. Boil a bag of dandelion dried herb in four cups of water. Simmer for 45 minutes after boiling and drink the tea 3 or 4 times per day. Continue to use the treatment for about a week.
- Dandelion is an herb containing taraxacin, a natural antibiotic. However, the science stops there. Medical treatment is much more effective for cyst removal than any herbal remedy.
Source: WikiHow https://www.wikihow.com/Treat-an-Infected-Sebaceous-Cyst
Co-authored by Jurdy Dugdale, RN
“THIS VIDEO MAY CONTAIN DERMATOLOGIC SURGICAL AND/OR PROCEDURAL CONTENT. THE CONTENT SEEN IN THIS VIDEO IS PROVIDED ONLY FOR MEDICAL EDUCATION PURPOSES AND IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE, DIAGNOSIS, OR TREATMENT.“